top of page
Laptop Writing

Home > Policyholders > Make a Claim

Make a Claim

If you are experiencing an issue with your new property, our policy provides you with some protection against Structural Defects arising from the design or construction of the property.

Here we explain what you will need to do in order to make a claim.

If your policy is still in the first 2 years of cover, please make sure you have contacted your Developer or Builder to discuss the issues and have given them the opportunity to rectify the issues. 

How to Make a Claim

If your policy is underwritten by Canopius or CGICE, the easiest way to make a claim is to email:

However if you find this is not suitable for you, you can also call us on 0333 577 2800.


Whichever way you contact us, we will ask you to provide the details asked for on our Claims Form so we would recommend you have a look at it before contacting us, to make sure you will have all the relevant information to hand.

Please note: if your policy is underwritten by FMB / Everest you should refer to your policy booklet for details of how to make a claim.

If you are a Residential Policyholder and are experiencing issues with your Developer / Builder during the first 2 years of your policy, for issues which could relate to a policy claim, please read this Policy Guidance Note which also gives you more details about our Mediation Process.

What else you need to do when making a claim
(Policy Claims Conditions)

When you make a claim on your Q Policy, you must comply with the following conditions. If you fail to do so, the Underwriter may not pay your claim or any payment could be reduced. All actions must be taken, and all information must be provided, at your own expense.

  • You must notify your claim as soon as reasonably possible (but in any case within 30 days) of first becoming aware that you think you need to make a claim. If you do not notify your claim within this period, and this affects the underwriter's ability to fully assess your claim or to keep the underwriter's losses to a minimum, your claim may not be paid or may not be paid in full. If you are unsure whether any problem with your property will lead to a claim, please contact us anyway in order that we can discuss the problem with you.

  • If you have a Deposit Protection Insurance Certificate or a Build Period Certificate and think you need to make a claim, you must notify Q of the issues you are facing, and provide any details you have of the Developer / Builder’s insolvency.

  • You must immediately take all the measures that you can to stop further damage and any potential loss as a consequence of the damage.

  • On the discovery of damage in respect of which a potential claim arises, the underwriter and any person authorised by them must be provided full and unrestricted access to your property and surrounding land within your control, for the purposes of investigating the claim and the extent of damage and reinstatement required. If you do not provide such access, and this affects the underwriter's ability to fully assess your claim, your claim may not be settled.

  • You must provide full details of the conditions which you believe give rise to the claim, and details of any other parties involved.

  • You must provide details of any other insurances related to your property which may cover you for the same loss or expense as this policy.

  • If requested to do so, you must record and submit photographic evidence of the conditions which you believe give rise to the claim.

  • You may be required to provide proof of ownership of your New Home. This may take the form of an email from the solicitor that acted on your behalf in the purchase of your New Home, or by providing a copy of your title deeds.

bottom of page